. . . back of the net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aberdeen confirm appointment of Derek McInnes

Go down

Aberdeen confirm appointment of Derek McInnes Empty Aberdeen confirm appointment of Derek McInnes

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 am

Derek McInnes has been named as the new manager of Aberdeen, succeeding Craig Brown at the Pittodrie club. The former St Johnstone and Bristol City manager was introduced as Brown’s replacement at a news conference at 12.30pm on Monday.

Brown announced earlier this month that he would be retiring from management when his Aberdeen contract expired at the end of the season but would step aside if a replacement was appointed before the summer. The Dons board moved to offer McInnes the role and he is set to begin work after the SPL split, in two games' time.

He will be assisted by Tony Docherty, who he worked with at St Johnstone and Bristol City. Both have been handed contracts that run until the summer of 2015.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to be given the opportunity to manage a club of the stature of Aberdeen Football Club and I'm determined to repay the faith the Pittodrie board has shown in me," McInnes told Aberdeen's official website. "Having been given an outline of the club's vision of the future I can clearly see the ambition here and I can assure, fans, players, sponsors and everyone associated with Aberdeen Football Club that I will do everything within my power to build a team that will entertain the fans and more importantly bring long-awaited success back to this great club.

First and foremost, we still have a chance to make the top six and while Tony and I do not officially take charge for a couple of weeks, there remains plenty for us to get on with in the interim. In tandem with trying to finish the current campaign in as high a league position as possible, I will also of course be assessing the squad with next season in mind. There is so much to do, so many opportunities and I'm really looking forward to get started."

McInnes has been out of work since he was sacked by Bristol City in January. He had moved to Ashton Gate following four years at St Johnstone, where he had won promotion to the SPL and led the club into Europe.

The former player, who counts Rangers, Toulouse, West Bromwich Albion, Dundee United and St Johnstone among his former clubs had been linked with the Pittodrie vacancy ever since Brown had announced his retirement.

STV
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum