. . . back of the net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martin O'Neill - Sacked (by mutual consent)

4 posters

Go down

Martin O'Neill - Sacked (by mutual consent) Empty Martin O'Neill - Sacked (by mutual consent)

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:07 am

Relegation-threatened Sunderland have announced they have "parted company" with manager Martin O'Neill. After a 1-0 defeat by Manchester United on Saturday, the Black Cats sit one point above the Premier League relegation zone with seven games left.

Sunderland are without a victory in eight matches and have won only two points out of 24 during that spell.

BBC Sport
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Martin O'Neill - Sacked (by mutual consent) Empty Re: Martin O'Neill - Sacked (by mutual consent)

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:07 am

didn't miko predict this?

it's a pretty tough run-in they have

Sun 7 Apr: Chelsea (a)
Sun 14 Apr: Newcastle (a)
Sat 20 Apr: Everton (h)
Mon 29 Apr: Aston Villa (a)
Sat 4 May: Stoke (h)
Sun 12 May: Southampton (h)
Sun 19 May: Tottenham (a)

Last edited by TinyHandsOfConcrete on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Martin O'Neill - Sacked (by mutual consent) Empty Re: Martin O'Neill - Sacked (by mutual consent)

Post  TheDesertFoxhat Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 am

Don't think it's much of a surprise...

Still don't get the point in sacking managers at this stage of the season tho...
TheDesertFoxhat
TheDesertFoxhat

Back to top Go down

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:21 am

TheDesertFoxhat wrote:Don't think it's much of a surprise...

Still don't get the point in sacking managers at this stage of the season tho...
i guess the directors think they're doomed unless some new guy can come in and inspire them or the new guy gets a chance to assess them before a clear out
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:09 am

seems the Herald is touting Paulo Di Canio at O'Neill's replacement
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:06 am

Paolo Di Canio is set to hold talks with Sunderland about succeeding Martin O'Neill at the Stadium of Light. The Black Cats sacked O'Neill on Saturday after a run of poor results left them only one point above the relegation zone with seven games left. Di Canio, who led Swindon Town to promotion from League Two last season but resigned in February, has no top-flight managerial experience.

Sunderland want to make an appointment before next Sunday's game at Chelsea. Former Queens Park Rangers and Manchester City boss Mark Hughes and Roberto Di Matteo - who won the Champions League and FA Cup as Chelsea's interim manager last season - have also been linked with the job.
Italian Di Canio, 44, first came to Britain in 1996 when he joined Celtic as a player, and followed his time in Glasgow with spells at Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham and Charlton. He retired in 2008 after spells back in Italy with Lazio and former Serie C1 side Cisco Roma, and was handed his first managerial role by Swindon in May 2011, replacing Paul Hart. Di Canio spent 21 months at the County Ground. After securing promotion, he quit the Robins on 18 February after becoming frustrated with off-the-field issues.

Swindon were in the League One play-off positions at the time. Di Canio, who was linked with the managerial vacancy at Reading following Brian McDermott's departure, told BBC Sport on 13 March that he was ready to manage in the top flight. He said: "I have already proven my ability in League Two and League One, where there are many arrogant and average players and I was able to turn [around] their mentality and help them become better footballers. The right place for me is the place that has the ambition and the staff who want to bring in a winning mentality.

The club needs to have set rules, which for me are discipline, desire, passion, work ethic and a determination to get the right results to make everybody happy, namely the board, the fans and the club's players and staff. I believe I am at a stage now where I am a Premier League or Championship manager."

Sunderland are on a run of eight games without a win, with their last league victory coming at Wigan on 19 January.

BBC Sport
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 am

. . . and Di Canio is appointed though David Milliband aint too chuffed due to Paulo's political past
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDesertFoxhat Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 am

One prick replaced by another...
TheDesertFoxhat
TheDesertFoxhat

Back to top Go down

Post  TinyHandsOfConcrete Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Paolo Di Canio will be "fantastic" for Sunderland, according to the man who gave him his first managerial job. The Black Cats handed former Swindon boss Di Canio, 44, a two-and-a-half year deal on Sunday. Sunderland sacked Martin O'Neill after a run of poor results. "At the end of our games it was pure box office," said former Swindon chairman Jeremy Wray. "I think it is a great appointment for him and a fantastic appointment for Sunderland."

Sunderland have seven Premier League games to go this season but are just one point above the relegation zone. They have tough trips to Chelsea and Tottenham, as well as a north-east derby with Newcastle to come. But Wray believes the Italian can keep the Black Cats in the Premier League. "He will galvanise the team: he is passionate, he eats, sleeps and drinks it," Wray told BBC Radio 5 live. "He is full on 24 hours a day and will be focused on the last seven games of the season. If you are looking for a catalyst for change he is absolutely the right man. A change often brings that kneejerk response which produces one or two results and if anyone is going to get them I think it is Paolo."

Di Canio first came to Britain in 1996 when he joined Celtic as a forward, and followed his time in Glasgow with spells at Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham and Charlton. He retired in 2008 after spells in Italy with Lazio and former Serie C1 side Cisco Roma, and was handed his first managerial role by Swindon in May 2011, replacing Paul Hart. Di Canio spent 21 months at the County Ground. After securing promotion, and with Swindon in the League One play-off positions, he quit the Robins on 18 February after becoming frustrated by off-the-field issues.

There were plenty of other dramatic moments along the way, including a bust-up with striker Leon Clarke just seven games into his time at the club. Tempers flared again this season - this time between Di Canio and young goalkeeper Wes Foderingham - during Swindon's game with Preston as the Italian substituted the player after just 21 minutes. It all led to ex-Robins chief executive Nick Watkins claiming Di Canio's tenure was "management by hand grenade". But despite this being Di Canio's first time managing a top-flight team, Wray does not see it as an issue. "He will take it in his stride. He is no stranger to the big stage and he hardly suffers from stage fright," he explained. "We had many sceptical people when I appointed him at Swindon but he convinced me in the same way I'm sure he will convince the chairman of Sunderland."

BBC Sport
TinyHandsOfConcrete
TinyHandsOfConcrete

Back to top Go down

Post  Feedthebear Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 pm

milliband already had a job lined up in the usa...his noble gesture was fairly easy to make... hello
Feedthebear
Feedthebear

Back to top Go down

Post  therrawbuzzin Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Feedthebear wrote:milliband already had a job lined up in the usa...his noble gesture was fairly easy to make... hello
There is no reason why he couldn't have done his "job" at Sunderland from the US.
therrawbuzzin
therrawbuzzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Feedthebear Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:20 pm

that's his choice...though charity organisations having tenuous links with a fascist are maybe not the best thing for a charity...given the current publicity levels at the club...very smart move by milli if you aske me... hello
Feedthebear
Feedthebear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum